Bookmark and Share

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Easy Reconstruction - Long Sleeve Polo Shirt to Shrug

This is based on Evenl's project at CO+K in which she turns a t-shirt into a shrug. http://www.cutoutandkeep.net/projects/tshirt_shrug I love the overall look and will make another one at some point, but do have a few minor issues with the one that I made, probably because I used a heavier weight polo shirt instead of t-shirt. Items used:
  • 1 long sleeve polo shirt
  • Scissors
  • Sewing machine
  • Thread
  • Straight Pins
  • Seam Gauge
  • 2 yds light gray ribbon
  • Clear nail polish (put on the ends of the ribbon so they don't fray

First I cut down the center and remove the collar and the buttons. As I used a 1 inch ribbon, I folded the edges over 1 1/4 inches and pinned it in place all the way around

The shoulders didn't lay right so I had to make a cut on each side at the back neckline at the shoulders before stitching all the way around.

As this is something I am just going to wear around the house, I didn't bother trying to cover it up, but the next time I make one I will probably use seam binding or bias tape to finish the edges to give it a more professional look.

I am also going to probably add a large bead to the bottom of each ribbon as it has a habit of sliding into the garment on one side then I have to take it out and re-thread the darn thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment