- 1 box cake mix, Pineapple or if none available, white or yellow
- Ingredients used for box mix - usually eggs, oil, but you will not use the water or liquid that the mix uses.
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice or 3/4 cup orange juice and 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 stick butter or margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 15 oz can pineapple (I used chunk, but you can use rings or crushed)
- Marichino Cherries - optional (I didn't use on this cake)
- 1-2 TBSP Rum or Rum Extract (I didn't use on this case, but have in the past)
Take the melted butter out of the oven. If you want to add rum or rum extract, mix it into the melted butter at this time.
Sprinkle the brown sugar, distributing evenly.
Bake in the oven the time recommended on the package (usually around 30 minutes) and bake until the cake springs up in the center.
For presentation purposes, you could flip the cake over on to a baking sheet, or you could just leave it in the pan and flip the picces over as you serve them (which is more exciting if being served to kids that have never had upside down cake before because they will want to know why you didn't frost the cake and you cut the cake, take the spatula and flip it over on the plate and abbra cadabra, you the "frosting" is on the bottom!).