Bookmark and Share

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Non-toxic weed killer from your kitchen cupboard

As the above thistle weed had become very prolific in my bushes and budding plants I went in search of some way to kills them that wasn't going to cost me a fortune or harm the environment and my search turned up an article by Don Comis at The USDA's Agricultural website about spraying a vinegar solution on the leaves to kill them. http://www.ars.usda.gov/IS/pr/2002/020515.htm It cited that researchers used at 5% to 20% solution to kills the weeds and that most household vinegar is a 5% solution. I didn't want to risk damaging the bushes or any of my budding plants, so I watered my solution down to: 1 cup of vinegar 1 cup of water

and put the solution in a spray bottle and sprayed it on some of the leaves.

It worked! This is what the sprayed leaves looked like the next day. The weed was dying and there was no harmful effect on the bushes or plants. I will probably just use the vinegar full strength in a bottle next time to finish off the weeds.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the comment, Kathryn! I love your blog, it's full of crafty little tips - I've added it to my reading list! What a great tip about the weed-killer- now if only I could use it on my neighbor's mess of a yard bordering on mine!;-)
    Thanks for reading!
    xoxox
    Carly

    ReplyDelete