Bookmark and Share

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Craft Supplies Keeper Portable Storage

I made this last year but I am linking it up today for the DIY Show Off's SHow & Tell Surprise Party as this carry-all I use all the time to store (then actually be able to find) small craft items like markers, googly eyes, pipe cleaners, felt pieces, ribbons, snaps, velcro, etc.



The DIY Show Off


This is a craft storage keeper made of two placemats and a box of gallon freezer bags from dollar store and some clearance craft ribbon I got at JoAnns after Christmas for .25 cents. This is what it looks like with supplies in it and tied up.
 
This is what it looks like open with craft supplies - it hold a lot more than it looks like it does and as you have 8 bags, you can keep it separate and organized.























Items used:
  • 2 Placemats
  • 1 Box of Gallon Sized Freezer Ziplock Bags
  • Ribbon, 38 inches
  • Sewing machine
  • Thread
  • Straight pins
 The placemats and the freezer bags are from dollar store and the ribbon I got at JoAnns after Christmas for .25 cents. I had been carrying around my craft stuff a ziplock bag in my tote and decided it was time to tidy it up to make it easier to find different items. I have seen smaller versions of this before with smaller bags and the placemat folded in half, but as I have a lot of craft items that I tote around as I try to craft during my lunch hour at work, I needed something bigger and made one using two placemats and gallon sized ziplock freezer bags.


I laid the freezer bags putting one on top of each other with the bottom facing down about 1/3 of an inch apart, pinned them together then stitched them on the sewing machine (if it gets too slippery you can put a piece of paper under the bags and tear it away when you are done)
Once the bags are stitched together, pin the bags between the two placemans and sew all three layers together.

Cut an 18 in. piece of ribbon and one of the cut edges along the outside edge of the placemat with the long side hanging off the side of the placemat then stitch it down. Do the same on the other side of the placemat.
Tie the ribbon together and you have a craft supplies keeper to tote your crafts around in style.

No comments:

Post a Comment