Bookmark and Share

Monday, March 1, 2010

Too Small Hoodie to Punked Tunic/Mini Dress

A funky punky tunic/mini dress to wear on the weekends from a too small hoodie.


I got the hoodie over a year ago on clearance after Halloween for $2.50 and it had been in my closet since then and when I pulled it out, it was a wee bit too small,so I ended up revamping it into a punked Tunic/Mini Dress.



Items used:
  • Hoodie
  • 1 yd fabric
  • Sewing machine
  • Thread
  • Straight pins
  • Iron



I started on this over month ago cutting the ribbing off the bottom of the hoodie and up the sides and arms and cutting some of insets but wasn't sure about exactly how I wanted to it to look, but got tired of seeing it in my workbasket and just picked it up and winged putting it together last night. 







I used a top that fit as a guideline to figure out how much to add on the sides compared to the hoodie to be revamped and a mini dress for the length.  You could go through a lot of complicated measuring, but it is easier to go do this and cut bigger than you need and trim down what you don't.

I added what I needed to each side, pinning right sides together and sewing, then cut double the width needed for the skirt then sewed a hem in the bottom.  I next sewed basting stitches along the top 1/2 inch away from the edges on the side, then sewed the sides of the skirt together using 1/2 inch seam then gathered the fabric and pinned it to the hoodie, right sides together and stitched it into place.














It seemed lacking so I decided to add a ruffle around the hood.  It is just fabric that is approximately 3 inches wide and double the length of the circumference of the hood folded it in half with wrong sides together then stitched with a basting stitch 1/4 inch from the edge.  I then gathered the fabric and pinned it inside the edge of the hoodie with the stitches facing towards the just far enough in so I would be stitching the drawstring and sewed it into place.

I then pressed pressed the ruffle up towards the edge of the hoodie so it would just peek out the edges.










I like how the hood ended up looking like a ruffled Peter Pan collar, but it did come out big.  I felt a little like a goth Henrietta Hippo from New Zoo Review http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0296385/combined 
when I first tried it on, but is starting to grow on me as it is sort of fun.  I may take it in on the sides and through the sleeves, but then again, I may just leave it as is to wear on a PMS days to grocery.

1 comment: