Bookmark and Share

Monday, July 6, 2009

Retro Warhol '60's Inspired Shoes

I made this for the "Picture This" challenge entry at Craftster.org. http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=311893.0 I wanted to dress up thrift store sandals (.99 cents marked down 50%) into something retro-kitschy cool, yet somewhat personalized, and came up with this project to use a photo of my son and turn it into a Warholian collage then put it on some fashion accessories in different forms. Total cost for this project was under $2 out-of-pocket. Items used for project:
  • Sandals
  • Photo collage (see below-.19 cents each through Snapfish developed at Walgreens)
  • 1/8 inch black ribbon (.50 cents a roll, Walmart)
  • Amazing Goop Glue (on hand, but to buy new is about $3)
  • Packing tape (on hand, but to buy new is $1 at Walmart of the Dollar store)
  • Black Gloss fabric paint (on hand, but to buy new less than $1 at most craft stores)

Here is link on how I made the photo for the project using free software from Picnik.com:

http://craftsandcreationswithkathy.blogspot.com/2009/07/warholian-photo-collage-part-2.html

I then used packing tape over the top of the entire photo to seal and protect it.

I then cut the pictures into strip and put the glue good on the back. I used my finger to smooth it, but it got real messy, I would recommend using a popsicle stick or maybe a Q-tip. I took one strip and put it flush against the outside edge, then angled it over to the other side - it went over the edge a bit on the other side, on one end, but I trimmed it off. Smooth is down and hold the edges in place until is it sticks without the edges lifting up (about 2-3 mins). Do the same with the other piece. Put a small line of glue on the top edge of the photo, starting with the outside edge and all the way across, then attach the ribbon, pressing into place as you go and cut off when you get to the other edge. Repeat for the bottom of the photo, then repeat the entire sequence for the other shoe.

I then put a small line of blue around the bottom edge of the sandal and glued down the ribbon all of the way around. I then used black gloss fabrib paint and went around all of the edges of the shoe to outline it.

No comments:

Post a Comment